Historical Events on February 28
- 1838: Robert Nelson declares the independence of what would eventually become Quebec.
- 1844: Six people are killed – including two U.S Cabinet members – when a gun on the USS Princeton explodes while it’s on the Potomac River.
- 1847: The U.S wins the Battle of the Sacramento River during the Mexican American War. This war would set the stage for the eventual capture of Chihuahua.
- 1885: The American Telephone & Telegraph Company becomes a subsidiary of American Bell Telephone.
- 1893: The first U.S battleship – the USS Indiana – is launched on this day.
- 1940: The first televised game of basketball occurs on this day. The game is between the University of Pittsburgh and Fordham University at Madison Square Garden.
- 1942: The USS Houston sinks during the Battle of Sunda Strait. Almost 700 crew members are killed.
- 1953: Francis Crick and James Watson announce that they have determined the chemical structure of DNA.
- 1954: The first color TV sets that use the NTSC standard are offered to the general public for sale.
- 1983: Almost 106 million viewers watch the final episode of M.A.S.H.
- 1991: The Gulf War ends on this day.
- 1993: The Branch Davidian Church in Waco, Texas is raided by the ATF. 4 ATF agents and 5 Branch Davidians will die during the raid. This is the beginning of a fifty-one day standoff.
Famous Birthdays on February 28
- American physician and Nobel Prize laureate, Philip Showalter Hench is born in 1896.
- American chemist and Nobel Prize laureate, Linus Pauling is born in 1901.
- American gangster Bugsy Siegel is born in 1906.
- American actress Billie Bird is born in 1908.
- Brazilian-English biologist and Nobel Prize laureate, Peter Medawar is born in 1915.
- American physicist and Nobel Prize laureate, Leon Cooper is born in 1930.
- American actor Gavin MacLeod is born in 1931.
- American physicist and Nobel Prize laureate, Steven Chu is born in 1948.
- American actress Bernadette Peters is born in 1948.
- American economist and Nobel Prize laureate, Paul Krugman is born in 1953.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in