Historical Events on June 1
- 1495: The first known reference to Scotch whiskey appears in the accounts of the Lord High Treasurer of Scotland as a monk named John Cor is asked to make a batch of it.
- 1533: In England, Anne Boleyn becomes Queen.
- 1660: For defying a law that banned Quakers from the Massachusetts Bay Colony, Mary Dyer is hanged.
- 1779: The Continental Army General Benedict Arnold receives a Court Martial for malfeasance.
- 1792: Kentucky become the 15th State to become a State in the U.S.
- 1794: Great Britain and France engage in a naval engagement during the French Revolutionary Wars. This battle is known as the Glorious First of June.
- 1796: Tennessee become the 16th State to become a State in the U.S.
- 1812: United States President James Madison asks the U.S Congress to declare war on Great Britain during the War of 1812.
- 1861: The Battle of Fairfax Court House begins during the American Civil War.
- 1862: The Battle of Fair Oaks (also known as the Battle of 7 Pines) ends with both Confederate and Union forces claiming victory during the American Civil War.
- 1890: The tabulation machine of Herman Hollerith begins to be used by the U.S Census Bureau to count census returns.
- 1916: Louis Brandeis is the first Jew to be appointed to the U.S Supreme Court.
- 1941: Crete capitulates to Germany after the Battle of Crete during World War 2.
- 1943: BOAC Flight 777 is shot down over the Bay of Biscay.
- 1946: In Israel, Nazi Adolf Eichmann is hanged.
Famous Birthdays on June 1
- American religious leader and founder of Salt Lake City, Utah, Brigham Young is born in 1801.
- American General John Hunt Morgan is born in 1825.
- American General John Bell Hood is born in 1831.
- American Lieutenant and Medal of Honor recipient, John J. Toffey is born in 1844.
- American actor, singer and screenwriter, Andy Griffith is born in 1926.
- American model and actress, Marilyn Monroe is born in 1926.
- English actor Edward Woodward is born in 1930.
- American actor Morgan Freeman is born in 1937.
- Irish actress Rosaleen Linehan is born in 1937.
American actor and comedian, Cleavon Little is born in 1939.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in