Historical Events on November 27
- 1839: The American Statistical Association is organized in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1863: Confederate leader John Hunt Morgan and some of his men manage to escape the Ohio Penitentiary and make it back to the South during the American Civil War.
- 1863: General George Meade and his Union forces fortify their positions against the forces of Confederate General Robert E. Lee at the Battle of Mine Run during the American Civil War.
- 1868: At the Battle of Washita River during the American Indian Wars, U.S Army Lt. Colonel George Custer leads his forces on an attack on Cheyenne Indians living on a reservation.
- 1895: Alfred Nobel signs his Last Will & Testament at the Swedish-Norwegian Club in Paris. His will contained provisions that established the Nobel Prize after his death.
- 1901: The United States War College is founded.
- 1924: The first Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is held in the city of New York.
- 1997: During the Second Souhane Massacre in Algeria, 25 people are killed.
- 2001: The Hubble Space Telescope discovers a hydrogen atmosphere on the extrasolar planet Osiris.
- 2015: A shooter in a Planned Parenthood Facility in Colorado Springs, Colorado shoots two civilians and four police officers. The shooter eventually surrenders.
Famous Birthdays on November 27
- Swedish astronomer and physicists, Anders Celsius is born in 1701.
- American lawyer and politician, Robert R. Livingston is born in 1746.
- English physicists, pathologist and Nobel Prize laureate, Charles Scott Sherrington is born in 1857.
- American painter William Bliss Baker is born in 1859.
- American-Chinese actor, martial artist and screenwriter, Bruce Lee is born in 1940.
- American poet Marilyn Hacker is born in 1942.
- American rapper Bad Azz is born in 1875.
- American actor and screenwriter, Jaleel White is born in 1976.
- American entrepreneur, co-founder and CEO of Transatomic is born in 1984.
- English singer Josh Dubovie is born in 1990.
Popular upcoming holidays you may be interested in