National Garage Sale Day
National Garage Sale Day is not a holiday that’s tied to one particular date but is instead observed on the second Saturday of August every year. It’s a day when people can assess the items in their home they might want to sell at a garage sale, and it’s also a day for checking out garage sales in their neighborhood. Having your own garage sale can be a great way to remove unwanted items from your home, and visiting someone else’s garage sale can be a great way to find a deal on something you might want.
The History of National Garage Sale Day
National Garage Sale Day has been around since the turn of the 21st century. It was first started in Alabama by C. Daniel Rhodes in 2001. He became frustrated when he saw that different people in his neighborhood had garage sales on different weekends, so he thought he’d create a day that would allow them to coordinate the day they held their garage or yard sales.
Amazing Facts About Garage Sales
If you’ve seen the garage sales in your neighborhood and wondered how many garage sales are held every week on average, or the number of people who purchase something at a garage sale every week, then you’ve come to the right section of this holiday. We’re going to give you some garage sale trivia that will impress all of our readers.
- Rummage sales began during the 16th century to allow ship captains to sell unclaimed cargo at ports.
- During the 19th century, churches began to regularly hold rummage sales to raise money.
- During the 1970s, the popularity of garage sales really began to rise.
- Almost 100,000 garage sales are listed on Craigslist every week.
- On average, 700,000 people buy something at a garage sale each week.
- Many communities allow their residents to hold garage sales, but some communities discourage garage sales by their residents.
- The best time to start a garage sale is 7 A.M.—at least according to experts.
- The best day to hold a garage sale is on a Saturday.
- The internet makes advertising your garage sale easier than it has ever been.
- The average price for a garage sale item is 90 cents.
Observing National Garage Sale Day
This holiday is perfect for heading out into your neighborhood and visiting some of the many garage sales that are likely to be set up. It’s also a good day to set up your own garage sale to unload some of the items you don’t want anymore. To spread the word about this holiday, be sure to use the hashtag #NationalGarageSaleDay on your social media accounts.