National Bicarbonate of Soda Day is a holiday that celebrates the substance that’s found in most kitchens nowadays. Bicarbonate of Soda, also known as baking soda, is an ingredient that that’s been used by humans for over 5,500 years. It’s an ingredient that’s historically been used as a cleaning agent, for preparing mummies, for baking, and for dozens of other uses. So when this holiday rolls around on December 30th, then you might want to celebrate it.
The History Of Sodium Bicarbonate
Baking soda is a chemical compound that goes back to 3,500 BC. Ancient Egyptians used a substance known as natron – a substance that’s made of around 17% sodium bicarbonate and small quantities of sodium sulfate and sodium chloride. They used this mixture throughout the ancient world as a cleaner and for other persons as well.
In 1843, British chemist Alfred Bird makes the first refined version of baking soda to use as a yeast alternative. Three years later, Arm & Hammer was created. From that point on, baking soda has been heavily used for combating odors in one’s cupboards or refrigerator, for cleaning purposes, and for baking.
At this time, it’s unknown who invented National Bicarbonate Day of Soda, however. We’re going to keep searching for the creator of this holiday, but at this time, it doesn’t appear as if we’re going to find out who created it or why it was created.
Interesting Facts About Baking Soda
Okay, once a person has decided that they want to observe National Bicarbonate of Soda Day, then they’re probably going to want to have a few facts to drop on friends and family on this day. We understand, and that’s why we’ve decided to list some of the facts we’ve uncovered.
- Baking powder can either be slow-acting or fast-acting. Slow-acting acid reacts when heated in an oven, and fast-acting acid will react in a wet mixture at room temperature.
- Baking soda is found in a variety of different personal care items including toothpaste, deodorant, and laundry products.
- During the first half of the 19th century, there were a variety of different baking soda brands available. However, modern variants are based on the work of Alfred Bird.
- Baking soda can be taken by mouth to be used as an antacid. It can relieve the symptoms of upset stomach and heartburn.
- Baking soda can also be used to reduce dandruff. The baking soda removes excessive oil and helps to remove flaking skin from the scalp.
Observing National Bicarbonate Of Soda Day
Observing this holiday can be done by putting baking soda to good use. You can use it for baking, use it to treat heartburn, or for whitening your teeth. You can also use it to make your own deodorant, your own air freshener, or as a kitchen cleaner. While observing this holiday, be sure to use the hashtag #NationalBicarbonateOfSodaDay on your social media accounts.
When is National Bicarbonate Of Soda Day?
|This year (2022)||December 30 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||December 30 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||December 30 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|