National Get Smart About Credit Day is a holiday that’s observed on the third Thursday in October every year to promote the importance of people improving their credit.
There are a number of different things that affects a person’s credit score including the amount of debt they’re carrying, the reports that have been made to any collection agencies, any payments that were made late, the number of open credit accounts, and the age of a person’s credit.
If a person properly manages these categories, they can bring up their own credit score or if they already have good credit, keep it that way.
The History Of National Get Smart About Credit Day
This holiday began in 2003 and was established by the American Bankers Association Education Foundation. Since this holiday’s conception, thousands of people were able to educate themselves on the importance of good credit and the steps they take to make sure they keep their good credit once they’ve established it.
Facts About Credit
Below are a couple of facts about credit we’ve learned about while we were educating ourselves on our credit.
- Negative credit items usually fall off after 7-years.
- The majority of lenders will use FICO scores when making decisions.
- Checking your own score doesn’t hurt it.
- People can check their credit scores online for free.
- A low credit score will cost you due to having to pay higher interest rates.
- Canceling old credit cards can lower a person’s credit score.
- A lot of credit reports contain information that isn’t accurate.
- You can dispute items on your credit report that are incorrect.
Observing National Get Smart About Credit Day
We encourage everyone to take the time to learn as much about credit as they can, and thanks to the Internet, that’s easier now than it has ever been before in the past. It’s also a good day to begin checking your credit score on a regular basis. And while you’re taking care of your credit score, be sure to use the hashtag #NationalGetSmartAboutCreditDay to spread this holiday to other people who might need it.
When is National Get Smart About Credit Day?
|This year (2022)||October 20 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||October 19 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||October 21 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|