National Pro-Life Cupcake Day
National Pro-Life Cupcake Day is a holiday that’s observed on October 9th and was created by an organization called Cupcakes for Life. Although on this holiday there’s an exchange of cupcakes that takes place, the real purpose of this holiday is to open a dialogue about the pro-life position.
According to this position, abortion is a process that terminates a child’s life and that child is one that’s never going to have the opportunity of having a birthday. Giving a cupcake is seen by the group as a non-confrontational way to connect with the public on this delicate issue.
The History Of National Pro-Life Cupcake Day
We’re unsure of when this holiday was created, but we do know it was started by Cupcakes for Life—an organization that gives away cupcakes to people in order to strike up a conversation about abortion. According to the group, cupcakes are given away because children who are aborted will never have an opportunity to have a birthday cupcake.
Facts About Abortion
Below are some facts about abortion that we learned from Amnesty.org and other organizations. We’ve provided these facts below so everyone can educate themselves on the subject of abortion.
- Criminalizing abortion doesn’t stop abortions, it just makes them less safe.
- Approximately 25-million unsafe abortions are performed every year—many in developing countries.
- Almost every death and injury from unsafe abortions are preventable.
- Restricting or criminalizing abortions prevents doctors from providing basic medical care to women.
- According to Amnesty International, access to safe abortion is considered to be a basic human right.
Observing National Pro-Life Cupcake Day
On this day, pro-life activists give away cupcakes and strike up conversations with people about their pro-life position. They also use the hashtag #ProLifeCupcakeDay to spread the word about this holiday on social media.