Self Injury Awareness Day is a day designed to raise global awareness about self-harm and self-injury. Although depression is a major cause of self-harm for many people, there are other reasons why some people might choose to harm themselves. Every single year, two million Americans engage in self-harm practices including scratching, cutting, and hitting themselves.
Self-harm is often misrepresented by the media and is often misunderstood among the general public, and this can lead to people who self-harm themselves feeling isolated, alone, and afraid to reach out and seek help. We can all help to prevent that from happening by observing this day on the 1st of March every year.
Important Facts To Know About Self-Harm
Below are some very important facts that we feel everyone should know about self-injury. Knowledge is the first step in helping people acknowledge and seek help for self-injury practices, so we provided some important information below.
- There are various types of nonsuicidal self-injury that may include burning, cutting, or headbanging.
- Individuals who self-harm often try to hide their behaviors out of fear.
- Treatment for self-harm may include medication and/or various therapies.
- Viewing online content about self-harm can be a trigger for self-harm committed in real life.
- Self-harm is used by some people to relieve discomfort or to combat stress.
- Self-harm isn’t a practice that’s done to draw attention or to be dramatic.
Observing Self-Injury Awareness Day
On this day, people can take the time to break the silence and help to shine the light on self-harm. They can do this by working in conjunction with agencies such as Life Signs (Self-Injury Guidance & Network Support), The Mix, or other agencies that attempt to place self-harm into the public’s purview. People can also use the hashtag #SelfInjuryAwarenessDay to spread the word about this holiday on their social media accounts.
When is Self-injury Awareness Day?
|This year (2023)||March 1 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2024)||March 1 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2022)||March 1 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|