Church Safety And Security Month
Historically, churches have been known to not only be inclusive to all people but also to be places of sanctuary from the outside world. And that’s been the case for as long as churches have existed. Unfortunately, while churches still remain inclusive, they are not seen as the places of safety they once were.
Not only are accidents such as fires an ever-present reality, but so are attacks on patrons and employees of the church. In this new age, churches have to now think about protecting themselves from mass shooters and other terrorist activities.
That’s why National Church and Security Month was created. This month, which is observed every October, reminds every church to look at the safety of their church as well as its security.
The History Of National Church And Security Month
Currently, we’re unsure of when this month was created. We can say that it’s a by-product of the times. In a perfect world, no one would have to worry about a shooter coming into a church and causing death and destruction, but that has been a reality in many places. And it’s for this reason that this month was created to help ensure the safety of the patrons and church employees.
Important Points About Church Security
To put a fine point on the importance of church security, we’ve decided to list some of the things that church leaders and members should do to ensure their community is as safe as possible. Although the following points aren’t all of the considerations that churches, church members, and patrons need to think about, we feel that it’s a pretty good start.
- Churches should make sure to lock their doors and to lock any doors that aren’t being used.
- Churches should make sure to assemble a security team that can identify threats and potential threats.
- Active shooters aren’t the only potential threats. Health issues, weather issues, fire, and other things can be a threat as well.
- Every church should determine its own firearm policy.
- Churches should make sure that they have adequate insurance coverage.
- Churches should focus on prevention and not just react to threats.
Observing National Church And Security Month
During this month, everyone should look at the security and safety measures of the church they attend or lead. This includes making sure that the grounds are in good condition, that the church has the proper precautions in place against intruders, and make sure that the employees are properly screened before being hired.
People can also spread the word about this month using the hashtag #ChurchAndSecurityMonth on social media.