National Apple Dumpling Day is a holiday that encourages people to make or buy apple dumplings. It’s a holiday that’s observed on September 17th annually, a day that falls right before the beginning of autumn, which is perfect considering that the apple dumpling is considered the quintessential dessert of autumn. So why not prepare for the cooler weather of fall by enjoying some sweet, delicious apple dumplings on this holiday?
The Sweet History Of Apple Dumplings
Since we couldn’t uncover the history of National Apple Dumpling Day, we thought that we’d talk about the history of apple dumplings instead. What few people realize is that apple dumplings have been around for many hundreds of years. Let’s explore its history a little bit before we continue on with talking about how to observe this holiday.
It’s believed that apple dumplings originated sometime during the 17th century with the invention of certain fruit puddings. It was one of the earliest fruit puddings and it was eaten by people of just about every social strata during the 18th century. People in the lower classes enjoyed them as much as people in the upper classes, so it was kind of a dessert that could be enjoyed by just about anyone. This was mainly due to the fact that despite its low cost, it was still a dish that was delicious.
Facts About Apple Dumplings
During the course of our research, we’ve come across some interesting facts about apple dumplings, so we wanted to take the time and share some of those facts with our readers. So without further ado, let’s talk about some of the things that we’ve learned about apple dumplings.
- Apple dumplings were first made in England during the 17th century as fruit puddings but became more dumpling-like during the 18th century.
- Apple dumplings have become a popular dessert in Pennsylvania thanks to them being made by Amish communities.
- In the Amish community, apple dumplings can be eaten as a breakfast item or as a dessert.
- Apple dumplings need to be baked between 350 and 425 degrees.
- Ice cream is often paired with apple dumplings.
- During colonial times, apple dumplings were usually cooked on the hearth or in the fireplace.
- The Apple Dumpling Gang movie was made in 1975.
- The plot of the Apple Dumpling Gang movie revolves around 3 orphan children striking gold in 1878 California.
- The sequel to the Apple Dumpling Gang movie was called “The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again.”
- The best apples to use in apple desserts include Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, and Mutsu apples.
Observing National Apple Dumpling Day
To observe this holiday all you have to do is to make or purchase some apple dumplings. Enjoying this delicious autumn dessert for breakfast or maybe with a scoop of ice cream is a great way to celebrate National Apple Dumpling Day. And while you’re observing the holiday, be sure to use the hashtag #NationalAppleDumplingDay with a picture of your dumpling on social media.
When is National Apple Dumpling Day?
|This year (2021)||September 17 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2022)||September 17 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2020)||September 17 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|