National Columnists’ Day is a holiday that’s dedicated to the newspaper columnists of the world who bring us the information that we need to make important day-to-day decisions in our lives. This is a holiday that’s observed annually on April 18th and it’s the perfect day for people to learn more about journalism, print publication, and the work that’s still being done by columnists.
Although print news is something that’s been on the decline the last few decades, there are still plenty of dedicated professionals putting in the good work of researching, compiling, and writing up the news.
Interesting Facts About The News Industry
Since we’re talking about columnists and the news industry, we thought that we’d list some of the facts that we learned about this industry and that many of our readers might find entertaining. So without further ado, below are some news industry facts for everyone to enjoy.
- Current research shows that approximately 40% of Americans get their local news from TV.
- Research also shows that 37% of Americans get their news online nowadays.
- Approximately 43% of daily newspaper readers get their news served to them digitally.
- In 2019, almost 50 journalists were killed around the world.
- American colonies during the 18th century had 37 independent newspapers.
- Journalism is an extremely competitive industry.
Observing National Columnists’ Day
The most obvious way to observe this holiday is by thanking a columnist that you might know for everything he or she has done. If you don’t know a columnist, then you can always spread the love on social media using the hashtag #NationalColumnistsDay. It’s also a good day to go out and support columnists by picking up a local newspaper—or at least, paying for a digital newspaper subscription.
When is National Columnists’ Day?
|This year (2022)||April 18 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||April 18 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||April 18 (Sunday)||Multiple dates - more|