National Decorating Month
Does your home need a bit of a refresh? Do you find that your wallpaper isn’t as chic as it used to be, or that your couch looks like it came off the set of a 1970s sitcom? If so, then you might want to try decorating your home to bring it up to modern standards.
A good time to start that process is during National Decorating Month. This month, which is observed in April, gives you the perfect excuse to turn your home back into something beautiful. Of course, before you do that, you might want to take some time to think about the process or to look up some of the newest design trends.
The History of National Decorating Month
This month was created in 1968 by the National Decorating Products Association. Yes, this month was created during a time when avocado was the perfect color for your kitchen walls and people actually ate savory gelatinous dishes that were made with Jell-O.
At the time, the month was called National Home Decorating Month. Over the years, it would be shortened to just National Decorating Month.
Some Interesting Facts About Home Decor
Okay, let’s dig into some home décor facts, shall we? After all, we think that this is something that everyone enjoys to some degree, so let’s go over some facts about it below.
- Home décor and interior design are two separate professions, although some professionals are capable of handling both.
- In order for home décor to be functional, a person has to consider human psychology.
- Home décor is different from one country to the next. Some things are fashionable in some places, but not so fashionable in other places.
- Many of the paints that were used during the Victorian Age contained toxic and dangerous chemicals.
- Throughout much of the 20th century, many paints contained lead.
- Nowadays, there are apps that allow a person to see how a particular paint color will look in their home before they even buy the paint!
Observing National Decorating Month
This month can be observed in so many ways we couldn’t possibly cover them all, but what we will do is list some of our favorite ways of observing National Decorating Month. This month can be observed by throwing a paint party and inviting all your friends to put up a new coat of paint on your walls.
This month can also be observed by buying new furniture, or even by simply changing the drapes. And don’t forget, if you’re going to rearrange your home, you might want to use the hashtag #NationalDecoratingMonth on social media. Let’s all see what you’ve done with the place!