National Do A Grouch A Favor Day
Now, this wasn’t tailor-made for that grumpy uncle we only see at Christmas, but National Do A Grouch A Favor Day just might be the most important quirky day you observe all year. Everyone knows someone who is always a “glass half empty” kind of person, so this is a day dedicated to turning their frown upside down.
When Is National Do A Grouch A Favor Day?
Observed on February 16th, interestingly, it is a couple of days after St. Valentine’s Day. This may have something to do with the grouchiness of some, but even if it is not, and they are just having a bad day, this is the time to spread some cheer. A grouch can be anyone – a relative, friend, colleague, stranger, and it doesn’t have to be someone you know to be grumpy all the time.
Anyone who can reverse the mood of someone cranky or down in the dumps should be labeled a saint; just remember to look out for people who are continually moaning about something, big or small.
How To Observe National Do A Grouch A Favor Day?
Well, the easiest way to reverse someone’s mood is to show that you care. Not only will this do wonders for their state of mind, but it will actually boost your mood and wellbeing as well. So, here are some things you can do on National Do A Grouch A Favor Day:
- Listen. That’s right, a simple place to start, but a lot of people that can be described as grouchy are in need of someone to listen to their woes. The results can be quite wonderful, especially if it helps to get to the bottom of why they are being grouchy.
- Thoughtful Gift. This could be something as simple as some flowers you picked on the way, or a piece of their favorite cake. Letting someone know you are thinking about them, if you are not able to talk in person, can be a powerful thing.
- Help Them Out. Sometimes a grouch is a grouch because they are struggling with something. This can be a personal issue such as getting into shape or a project they are trying to complete but are finding difficult. So why not join them for a walk or help get that task done.
- Physical Contact. As long as you are comfortable with it, a hug can go a long way toward enhancing someone’s mood.
- Smile. Yes, it is cheesy, but it works. Just smiling at someone who is not feeling so chipper can help reverse their mood, even if for a second.
Although it is not easy finding information on the origins of this day and how it came to light, by the time you are done adding a little light into the life of a grump, at least one person will be glad you observed National Do A Grouch A Favor Day on February 16.