National Flash Drive Day is a holiday that’s observed every April 5th and commemorates an ultra-portable storage device that many of us use on a regular basis. Some people use them so much, they even keep one on their keychain.
These little devices have made it easier for us to migrate files from one computer to another, safeguard a large library of music or movies, or maintain a boot drive that will help us get our computer running again if it ever crashes. Best of all, flash drives can go places that aren’t even touched by the Internet yet, so maybe this day is a holiday more of us should consider celebrating.
The History Of National Flash Drive Day
National Flash Drive Day is a holiday that was invented in 2018 by USB Memory Direct—a company that makes custom USB flash drives. They created the holiday to not only bring awareness to their products but to highlight the importance of these drives on our modern lives.
Interesting Facts About Flash Drives
The following facts are just some of the things that we learned about flash drives while we were researching this holiday.
- Flash drives are immune to electromagnetic interference.
- The highest capacity USB flash drive 3.0 is 2 terabytes.
- Windows 10 can be easily loaded from a USB flash drive.
- USB Flash drives are also known as pen drives, key drives, jump drives, and memory sticks.
- North Korean defectors shipped several thousand USB flash drives into North Korea from South Korea.
- The first Flash drive was invented in the 1970s.
Observing National Flash Drive Day
We encourage everyone to take a few moments to learn more about flash drives and the impact they’ve had on our society. We also encourage people to use the hashtag #NationalFlashDriveDay to spread the word about this holiday to everyone who may not have heard about it.
When is National Flash Drive Day?
|This year (2022)||April 5 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||April 5 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||April 5 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|