Celebrated during the first week of summer on June 23rd every year, National Hydration Day is a holiday that’s designed to help people understand the importance of keeping yourself properly hydrated—especially when it’s hot outdoors. Since the human body is approximately 60% water, keeping properly hydrated prevents a wide variety of different health problems including kidney and urinary tract problems, seizures, and even hypovolemic shock. Therefore, everyone should make sure that they get enough water during the day, regardless of whether they’re celebrating this holiday or not.
The History Of National Hydration Day
This holiday was created in 2016 in honor of Victor Hawkins—a football coach who invented FuelGard. FuelGard is a mouthguard that uses slow-release electrolyte tablets to help combat athletes dehydration and allow them to remain on the field longer. This device replenished lost electrolytes that were lost while the athlete was sweating.
Facts About Hydration
Since we believe that everyone should understand hydration and how much water the human body needs over the course of a day, we thought that we’d list some of the facts about hydration that could give our readers a better understanding of their bodies.
- Depending on activity levels, a person can lose several pints to several gallons of water through urinating alone.
- Although the human body is approximately 60% water, the human brain is 95% water.
- Human lungs are 90% water—which is more than 83% of the water in our blood.
- Bones are only composed of approximately 22% water.
Myths About Hydration
Unfortunately, there are just as many myths about hydration circulating the Internet as there are facts, so we decided to take it upon ourselves and try to sort facts from fiction. Below are some of the most insidious facts that continue to be circulated about hydration.
Myth: People need 8-glasses of water a day.
Truth: People need different amounts of water depending on their climate, physical activity, clothing worn, and their medical conditions.
Myth: It’s impossible to drink too much water.
Truth: Overhydration is rare, but it can happen. Too much water too quickly can lower electrolyte levels and this can lead to confusion or even seizures and death.
Myth: We can’t meet our water needs from food.
Truth: About 80% of a person’s water needs are met by drinking beverages, but the other 20% is obtained from the water found in fruits and vegetables.
Celebrating National Hydration Day
National Hydration Day is a good holiday to learn more about hydration and dehydration and implement those findings into your daily life. Everyone wants to make sure that they hydrate themselves properly and don’t overdo it or under-do it. And while you’re celebrating this holiday, be sure to use the hashtag #NationalHydrationDay to spread the word about how proper hydration can lead to a healthier life.
When is National Hydration Day?
|This year (2021)||June 23 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2022)||June 23 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2020)||June 23 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|