Egypt is a country that has two Revolution Days—one on July 23rd that celebrated the anniversary of the 1952 Egyptian Revolution, and the one observed on January 25th to mark the beginning of the 2011 revolution. This holiday article concerns itself with the latter instead of the former.
This holiday is a public holiday so many government institutions, schools, and businesses are closed and civil servants are given a day of pay. Although there are some traditions associated with this holiday, the celebrations for this day aren’t as large as the July 23rd holiday. Even though that’s the case, this holiday is still observed with political speeches, parades, and other festivities.
The History Of January 25th Revolution Day In Egypt
The 25th of January originally began as Police Day—a holiday that celebrated the police offices that protected the Egyptian people while they resisted British forces in Ismailia in 1952. The events of that day would leave 80 Egyptian officers injured and 50 people dead.
This would spark the 1952 Egyptian Revolution that would end up expelling the British from the Country. During Police Day in 2011, protests started that would last for 18-days and would end up leading to the ousting of President Hosni Mubarak. This would end his 3-decade rule over Egypt.
Facts About Egypt
Before we talk about celebrating January 25th Revolution Day, let’s go over some of the interesting facts that we’ve learned about Egypt.
- Egyptians comprise more than 99% of the total population.
- Egypt’s population is estimated to be 90% Muslim with various Christian denominations making up the other 10% of the population.
- Egypt has seven UNESCO-designated World Heritage Sites.
- The first prosthetic limb in the world was a prosthetic toe made of wood and leather, that was produced about 950 B.C.
- Egypt invented the 12-month calendar.
Observing January 25th Revolution Day In Egypt
This day is often marked with parades, speeches, and other events. People also use the holiday as a general day off to spend time with friends and family members.
When is Revolution Day January in Egypt?
|This year (2023)||January 25 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2024)||January 25 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2022)||January 25 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|