Wikipedia Day is a holiday that’s observed annually on the 15th of January and celebrates the website that’s been the launching point of many research sessions. Don’t believe us? If not, then head on over to Wikipedia and check it out for yourself. This is a holiday that celebrates the birth of this site and is celebrated by fans of the site all over the world.
This is a day for people to get together to host special events, talk with other Wikipedia users, or simply spend the day doing a little bit of research. If that sounds like fun, then stick around and allow us to entertain you with a deeper discussion of this holiday.
The History Of Wikipedia Day
So, anyone wishing to observe Wikipedia Day can also take the time to celebrate Creative Commons Day. Sounds like fun, doesn’t it? Wikipedia Day has been observed by faithful users of the site since 2001. It’s observed every year online, and we suppose that some people also take the time to celebrate it in their homes as well.
Some Facts About Wikipedia
Okay, now that we’ve dug deep into Wikipedia Day, it’s now time to dig deep into the website that inspired it. After quite a bit of research (some of which started on Wikipedia), we came up with the following bounty of fun facts. Let’s check them out!
- Wikipedia and its sister projects receive more than 10 edits per second.
- There are over 32 million people with registered usernames on Wikipedia. They’re known as Wikipedians and have the ability to edit pages on the site.
- In 2011, Wikipedia created a page to list Wikipedia Day celebrations and meetups.
- Most Wikipedia editors are male. Approximately 90% of them in fact.
- Wikipedia has over 55+ million articles in over 300 languages.
- Every single month, over 1.5 billion devices access Wikipedia services.
Observing Wikipedia Day
Anyone wishing to observe this holiday can do so by treating Wikipedia Day as they would any birthday celebration. Maybe have a cake decorated, get some ice cream and pointy hats, and then invite friends and family members over to wish Wikipedia a happy birthday! Of course, there are online, official celebrations of this holiday that people can also enjoy. All they have to do is to head to Wikipedia and see for themselves.