|Date||Name Location / Topic|
National Pistachio Day
National Tell a Fairy Tale Day
Peace Corps Week
Historical Events on February 26
- 1815: Napoleon Bonaparte manages to flee Elba.
- 1876: Japan and Korea sign a treaty. Some of the articles of it declare that Korea is a free nation, that diplomatic missions be established in each country, that aid be granted to wrecked or stranded ships and that Japan had a right to extraterritoriality.
- 1909: The first successful color motion picture process – known as Kinemacolor – is unveiled at the Palace Theater in London, England to the general public.
- 1914: The sister vessel to the RMS Titanic – the HMHS Britannic – is launched from Harland & Wolff shipyards in Belfast.
- 1919: Grand Canyon National Park is established after U.S President Woodrow Wilson signs a Congressional act that formed the national park.
- 1929: An executive order is signed by U.S President Calvin Coolidge that created the Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming out of 96,000 acres of land.
- 1935: Adolf Hitler orders that the Luftwaffe be once again established. This is a clear violation of the Treaty of Versailles.
- 1936: Japanese military officers attempt a coup d’etat against the Japanese Imperial Government. This incident is known as the February 26 Incident.
- 1993: A truck bomb explodes below the North Tower of the World Trade Center. It injures over a thousand people and kills six.
- 2012: Forty-five people are injured and at least three people are killed when a train derails in Burlington, Ontario in Canada.
- 2013: Nineteen people are killed near Luxor, Egypt when a hot air balloon crashes.
Famous Birthdays on February 26
- French author, poet and playwright, Victor Hugo is born in 1802.
- American architect Nathan Kelley is born in 1808.
- German-American fashion designer and founder of Levi Strauss & Co., Levi Strauss is born in 1829.
- American soldier, hunter and showman, Buffalo Bill is born in 1846.
- American surgeon and co-creator of Corn Flakes, John Harvey Kellogg is born in 1852.
- Canadian-American businessman and founder of Dow Chemical Co., Herbert Dow is born in 1866.
- American singer-songwriter Johnny Cash is born in 1932.
- English actress Josephine Tewson is born in 1939.