|Date||Name Location / Topic|
International Day of Charity
Be Late for Something Day
Cheese Pizza Day
Mother Teresa Beatification Day
Historical Events on September 5
- 1666: After the destruction of thousands of buildings, and the death of six people, the Great Fire of London finally comes to an end.
- 1697: An English squadron at the Battle of Hudson’s Bay is defeated by a Franch warship led by Captain Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville.
- 1698: Tsar Peter I of Russia imposed a tax on the beards of all men with an exception being made for peasantry and the clergy.
- 1774: The First Continental Congress is assembled in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1781: At the Battle of the Chesapeake during the American Revolutionary War, The French navy repels the British navy – which leads to the British surrendering at Yorktown.
- 1812: During the War of 1812, Chief Winamac and his forces attack two soldiers as they are returning back to Fort Wayne from the outhouses – thereby beginning the Siege of Fort Wayne.
- 1906: Bradbury Robinson of St. Louis University throws the first legal forward pass in American football.
- 1914: At the First Battle of the Marne during World War I, French forces attack and defeat German forces as they are trying to advance on the capital.
- 1921: A party featuring silent film star Roscoe “Fatty” Arbuckle ends when a young actress, Virginia Rappe becomes ill. She would later die, embroiling Fatty Arbuckle in one of the first Hollywood scandals.
- 1942: During WWII, the Japanese suffer their first major defeat in land warfare when they are forced to withdrawal at Milne Bay in the Pacific.
- 1943: During WWII, the 503rd Parliament Infantry lands at Lae Nadzab Airport.
Famous Birthdays on September 5
- Tanzanian-English singer-songwriter Freddie Mecury is born in 1946.
- American pianist Chip Davis is born in 1947.
- American singer-songwriter and drummer Buddy Miles is born in 1947.
- American actor Michael Keaton is born in 1951.
- American historian and journalist Victor Davis is born in 1953.
- American actress Rose McGowan is born in 1973.
- American baseball player and manager Rod Barajas is born in 1975.