Celebrated as a regional holiday in the Malaysian state of Sabah on the first Saturday in October, the Birthday of the Governor of Sabah is a holiday that celebrates the birthday of the current governor. In Sabah, there’s isn’t a monarch that’s the head of the state, but instead, there’s a governor.
This governor is elected for a period of 4-years and derived their power from the State Constitution based on the advice given by the Chief Minister. This holiday is mainly observed with official celebrations, and it’s not a day off for the general public.
Fun Facts About Sabah
While we were researching the Birthday of the Governor of Sabah, we thought that we would do a deeper dive into this Malaysian state. That’s when we uncovered the following facts that we would like to now share with everyone below.
- Sabah is the third most populous state in Malaysia and has a population of 3.5 million people.
- The name of this state is taken from all of the Pisang Sabaa trees (banana trees) on the west coast.
- The first Orangutan Rehabilitation Center was built in Sabah in 1964.
- The world’s largest flower, the Rafflesia, also grows in Sabah.
- This state is also home to the largest carnivorous plant in the world, the Nepenthes Rajah.
- The Murut tribe was the last of the state’s ethnic groups to give up headhunting.
Observing The Birthday Of The Governor In Sabah
This holiday is observed with political speeches, an official birthday party for the governor, and other smaller events. It’s not a day that’s heavily celebrated by the general public, although there are a few smaller events and parties throughout the country. It’s also not a day off for the general public, and many businesses remain open on this day.
When is Birthday Of The Governor Of Sabah?
|This year (2022)||October 1 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||October 7 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||October 2 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|