National Brain Cancer And Brain Tumor Awareness Month

May is National Brain Tumor Awareness Month, and it’s the time when healthcare organizations across the U.S. attempt to raise public awareness about brain tumors. It’s estimated that approximately 700,000 Americans are living with a primary brain tumor and that an estimated 90,000 people will receive a brain tumor diagnosis this year.

Although 29% of diagnosed brain tumors are benign, the other 71% are malignant and pose a significant risk to the patient’s life. That’s why it’s important for people to learn more about their brain cancer risks and get regular medical exams. During this month, it’s also important for people to show support for organizations that support treatment and research of this category of cancer.

The History of National Brain Tumor Awareness Month

This month has been around for a few decades and was originally created by a group of charities that would go on to found the Brain Tumor Research Center. They created this month to raise public awareness about brain cancers and to help support fundraising efforts for research and treatment of brain tumors. It has been faithfully observed every year ever since.

Important Facts About Brain Tumors

We wanted to highlight the importance of people educating themselves about brain cancer, so we decided to gather some facts about brain tumors that we think everyone will appreciate. Let’s take a look at them before continuing with the discussion of National Brain Tumor Awareness Month.

  • In the U.S., almost 14,000 children are estimated to be living with a primary brain tumor.
  • Brain tumors are the most common solid cancer in children up to the age of 14.
  • Brain tumors are also the leading cause of cancer-related death among children under the age of 14.
  • Pilocytic astrocytoma, glioma, and embryonal tumors are the most prevalent brain tumor types found in children.
  • The average survival rate for all primary brain tumor patients is over 75%.

Observing National Brain Tumor Awareness Month

It’s up to everyone to use this month to educate themselves about brain cancers and their potential risk of developing a brain tumor. People should consider their family history, whether they smoke or use other tobacco products, and other risk factors to determine if their risk is higher than normal.

People should discuss these risk factors with their doctor during their regular physical exams. People can also help support brain tumor fundraisers that happen all across the U.S. during this month, either by volunteering or by donating money.

It’s also important for people to spread the word about National Brain Tumor Awareness Month so that others can take action towards finding a cure or advocate for their own health. The word about this holiday can easily be spread by using the hashtag #NationalBrainTumorAwarenessMonth on their social media accounts.

When is it?
This year (2024)
May 1 Wednesday
Next year (2025)
May 1 Thursday
Last year (2023)
May 1 Monday
Health & Body