Cheese is something that’s enjoyed by people all over the world. It doesn’t matter who you are or where you live, you probably like cheese in one of its many forms. And it also doesn’t matter if you like American, Asiago, Blue cheese, Brie, or some other type of cheese, you’re probably going to want to pick up cheese so that you can celebrate National Cheese Lover’s Day. This holiday is observed on January 20th and encourages everyone to get a little bit cheesy.
The History Of Cheese
It would appear that people have been making cheese for a very long time. Current evidence shows that some of the first batches of cheese were made over 7,000 years ago. Samples that old were found in Croatia and in Poland. The oldest written mention of cheesemaking can be found in Sumerian cuneiform texts of the Third Dynasty of Ur that was made during the second millennium B.C. The cheese was also made about 5,000-years ago in Ancient Egypt, Greece, and Rome.
Amazing & Interesting Facts About Cheese
We are big fans of cheese, so we decided to go ahead and find out everything we could about it. We started with the history of cheese and then decided to go ahead and find out every other factoid we could find out about so we could list them in this section of our holiday article. Let’s take a quick look at them.
- Early cheese might have been discovered by Mesopotamia goat farmers who stored milk in animal stomachs. The enzyme in the stomach would curdle the milk into a type of cheese.
- If you count all the cheese varieties currently available, you’ll soon find out there are over 2,000 cheese varieties found worldwide.
- Pizza Hut uses approximately 300 million pounds of cheese a year.
- The first cheese factory was established in 1815 in Switzerland.
- The first successful mass production of cheese began in 1851 in the U.S.
- In St.Louis, Missouri, Provel is a cheese that’s often placed on thin-crust pizzas.
- Provel is a cheese food product made from a combination of Swiss, Cheddar, and Provolone cheeses.
- Over 20 million metric tons of cheese are produced worldwide every year.
- The Romans used large houses called Careale to manufacture cheese.
- The United States produces most of the cheese sold throughout the world.
- The biggest selling cheese in the United States is Mozzarella.
- The second biggest selling cheese in the United States is Cheddar.
- American cheese isn’t technically a cheese. It’s actually a processed cheese product.
- Gouda is one of the most popular cheeses in the world.
- Mac & Cheese is one of the most popular cheese dishes in the United States.
Observing National Cheese Lover’s Day
National Cheese Lover’s Day can be observed by any cheese lover by them simply taking the time to enjoy their favorite cheese in some form. This could be something as simple as cheese on crackers, or something as complicated as creating your own cheese sauce. While you’re celebrating this holiday, be sure to use the hashtag #NationalCheeseLoversDay on your social media accounts to spread the word about it.
When is National Cheese Lover’s Day?
|This year (2022)||January 20 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||January 20 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||January 20 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|