National Chiropractic Month
October is National Chiropractic Month and it’s the time of the year when people celebrate chiropractors and what they do. Chiropractors treat conditions that affect the musculoskeletal and nervous systems. Although they don’t have an M.D degree like medical doctors, they are professionals who are dedicated to providing their patients with individual, non-invasive and specialized care.
Their work is focused around on aligning the body, especially the spine, to relieve pain and reduce osteoarthritis symptoms. The work they do fills an important spot in the health care system and millions of people around the world have been helped by their efforts. That’s more than enough reason for people to thank their chiropractors during this month.
The History Of National Chiropractic Month
Despite our research, we are unable to determine exactly when National Chiropractic Month was invented. We’re pretty sure that it was created by the American Chiropractic Association a few years ago, but we’ve been unable to uncover the precise date that it was created.
Amazing Facts About Chiropractors
We wanted to add a trivia section to this article because for many people what chiropractors do is sort of a mystery and there are a lot of misconceptions floating around.
If you ask the average person what a chiropractor does, they’ll probably say that they are a person who “cracks” backs. However, that’s only a small part of what they actually do. So, let’s learn a little bit more about chiropractors and the chiropractic industry by taking a look at the following bullet points.
- The word “chiropractic” comes from two Greek words: “Cheir” means “hand”, and “praktos” means “performed by hand.”
- Every year, an estimated 36 million Americans are treated by chiropractic doctors.
- In the U.S alone, there are currently over 10,000 students in the chiropractic education program.
- Currently, there are 95,000 chiropractic doctors in the world.
- It’s been estimated that all of the world’s chiropractors together perform one million adjustments per day.
- Chiropractors are regulated by law in over 40 countries and in every U.S State.
- Chiropractic care of lower back pain can be 20% cheaper if performed by a chiropractor over a medical doctor.
- Chiropractors need to complete at least 4,200 hours of classroom, lab, and clinical internships to earn their license.
- People who are injured at work are 28 times less likely to undergo spinal surgery if they go to a chiropractor before they see a medical doctor.
Observing National Chiropractic Month
This month can be observed in a number of different ways. People can make an appointment with their chiropractor during this month, send their chiropractor a thank you note, or send all chiropractors a shout-out on the Internet using the hashtag #NationalChiropracticMonth.