National Coconut Day is a holiday that falls on June 26th and is a day on which people can enjoy coconuts in all of their forms. It’s a day on which people can cook with coconut oil, make coconut cream pie, or simply making themselves a refreshing pina colada—one of the most famous coconut-based drinks. Just be sure not to confuse this holiday with World Coconut Day—a day that falls on the 2nd day of September.
The History Of National Coconut Day
National Coconut Day is a holiday that was first founded in 2017. It was founded by the Coconut Coalition Of The Americas (CCA) to bring attention to the versatility of coconuts and to promote them to the general public. They especially wanted to impress on the general public that the coconut is useful for more than just baking.
Facts About Coconuts
We’ve already covered some of the ways that coconuts can be used in cooking, so we’ll spare our readers any more coconut-based recipes. What we will give our readers, however, is a list of some of the fascinating things about coconuts that they might want to know.
- Falling coconuts kill over 150 people each and every year—that’s more than ten times as many people killed by sharks.
- Every year, over 20 billion coconuts are grown.
- Research is currently being done to see if coconut can be used in anti-aging cosmetic formulations.
- There is also research going on whether chemicals found in coconuts can be used in hair regrowth formulations.
- Contrary to Internet rumors, coconut water isn’t similar to blood plasma.
- The coconut water/blood plasma rumor started because coconut water was given to soldiers during WWII when emergency saline levels were depleted.
- National Coconut Creame Pie Day is celebrated in May.
- World Coconut Day is celebrated in September.
- Coconut is a word that’s made of a combination of the Portuguese word for hobgoblin “Coco” with the English word “nut.”
- The coconut palm is the national tree of the Maldives.
- Coconut water is approximately 94% water.
- A coconut tree can produce up to 180 coconuts.
- The largest producer of coconuts is India, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
- Coconut husk can be burnt and then used as a mosquito repellent.
Observing National Coconut Day
Each and every day, people are discovering more and more ways to cook with the humble coconut. People make everything from coconut cream pie to ice cream from them, and National Coconut Day is a good day to try out all of those coconut-based recipes. So find a way to use coconut on this day, take a picture of your creation, and then post it to social media using the hashtag #NationalCoconutDay.
When is National Coconut Day?
|This year (2023)||June 26 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2024)||June 26 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2022)||June 26 (Sunday)||Multiple dates - more|