National I Love Horses Day
National I Love Horses Day is a holiday that obviously celebrates the special relationship between horses and humans. It’s a day that’s observed annually on July 15th and has been celebrated for the last few years. Horses and humans have enjoyed a special relationship for quite a long time now and horses were domesticated approximately 5,000-years ago.
After their domestication, horses became valuable for transportation and for performing work on farms. And it’s this close relationship between horses and humankind that’s celebrated with this holiday. A very special holiday for anyone who has ever ridden a horse, owned or horse, or has loved a horse.
Amazing Facts About Horses
We think that it’s probably quite appropriate to list some amazing facts about horses right now before we continue with our discussion of National I Love Horses Day. So let’s dig into the following facts listed below and see if there’s anything new we can learn about horses.
- Horses have almost 360-degrees of vision. Only directly ahead and behind them are blind spots.
- Most horses have 205 bones in their body. Arabian horses, however, have fewer ribs and lumbar vertebrae.
- Horses can sleep standing up and lying down.
- Male horses have 40-teeth and female horses have 36-teeth.
- Horses produce 10-gallons of saliva each and every day.
- It’s estimated that there are over 60 million horses in the world.
- Horses drink a minimum of 5-gallons of water each day.
- A horses’ heart is about the size of a basketball and can weigh up to 4.5 kilograms.
Observing National I Love Horses Day
This holiday is probably going to be celebrated in one of two different ways. For people who own horses, it’s a day to show the horse a little bit of extra attention and affection and by giving them a special treat for the day. For people who don’t own horses, it’s a day to learn more about them. People can also spread their love for horses on social media using the hashtag #IloveHorsesDay.