National Photography Month
National Photography Month is in May and it’s the perfect time for people to grab their cameras. This is a month that can be celebrated by anyone; it doesn’t matter if they’ve never taken a picture during their entire life or they’re a professional photographer.
What’s great about the art of photography is that it allows anyone to capture beautiful pictures of moments frozen in time. A person doesn’t have to know the aspect ratio of the shot, the composition of the elements within the photo, or think about anything else. All they have to do is point and shoot.
Now, we’re not saying that anyone can take a prize-winning photo because the photographer needs to keep a lot of things in mind while setting up a shot, but we do promise that anyone can take a photo that will make them proud.
The History Of National Photography Month
For most holidays and observation months, we’re able to track down who invented a particular observance, why they invented it, and when they were invented. Unfortunately, in this instance, we’re unable to uncover the origins of this month. We’ll keep trying to find its creator or when it was created, but until we do we have to admit that we’re at a total loss.
Facts About Photography That Everyone Should Know
We’ve gathered together some facts about photography that we feel everyone should know and we’ve listed these facts below. We feel that just about everyone will appreciate the following facts. We know that we did.
- The largest camera collection in the world is owned by Dilish Parekh. He has over 4,425+ cameras.
- The first digital camera was invented in 1975 by Steven Sasson.
- The first digital camera weighed about 8-pounds and had a resolution of 0.01MP.
- Nowadays, modern DSLR cameras weigh about 2-pounds.
- The first projected image was through a Camera Obscura.
- The Camera Obscura was invented in the 5th century B.C.
- The word “photography” was coined in 1839 by Sir John Herschel.
- In 1826, the first photo was taken n Burgundy, France.
- The first photograph took approximately 8-hours to develop.
- Photography is the most popular art form in the entire world.
- Every day, there are 95 million photographs shared on Instagram.
- Approximately 90% of all mobile data usage comes from sending photographs.
- Professional photographers can make anywhere from $20,000 to $150,000 a year.
- It’s estimated that there are over 300,000 professional photographers in the U.S.
Observing National Photography Month
This month can be observed in a number of different ways. People can take a photography class, look at pictures on the Internet, or even just take pictures with their phones. There are no hard and fast rules about how this month should be celebrated.
The only rule that we believe people should observe during this month is to spread the word about it using the hashtag #NationalPhotographyMonth on social media.