National Pick Strawberries Day
On May 20th every year, everyone has a good excuse to go outside and enjoy some fresh air, some sunshine, and eventually, some fresh strawberries. That’s because a very special holiday is celebrated on this day. That holiday is National Pick Strawberries Day—a day that encourages people to go out there and pick some strawberries.
Picking strawberries on this holiday allows each person to have an excuse to leave behind the electronic diversions located in their home and enjoy all the pleasures that Mother Nature has to offer. And since strawberries are the reward for observing this day, it’s a good idea to think carefully about what you’re going to make with them. May we suggest a nice strawberry pie?
Facts About Strawberries
Below are some fun facts about strawberries everyone should know about before they begin celebrating National Pick Strawberries Day.
- The average strawberry will contain over 200-seeds.
- Strawberries are one of the very first fruits to ripen in the spring.
- Approximately 75% of the United States strawberry crop is produced in California.
- Florida and South Carolina also produce a lot of strawberries.
- Strawberries can either be planted by runner or by seed.
- Every strawberry flower has between five and seven petals.
- Americans eat approximately 3.5 pounds of strawberries per person per year.
- Americans also eat about 2-pounds of frozen strawberries per person per year.
- It’s estimated that approximately 94% of American households enjoy strawberries.
Observing National Pick Strawberries Day
This holiday is obviously celebrated by going out there and picking strawberries. However, you may be wondering what you should do if you don’t have any strawberries to pick. If that’s the case, then you can easily find your local strawberry farm that allows people to pick their own strawberries.
Once all of those strawberries are picked, don’t forget to use them in a delicious recipe. You can let people know about what you made with your strawberries using the hashtag #PickYourOwnStrawberriesDay with a picture of your creation.