Pride In Foodservice Week is a holiday week that’s observed during the first full work week of February and celebrates all hardworking professionals who work in food service. These food workers handle the dietary and culinary chores at schools, universities, hospitals, correctional facilities, food courts, grocery stores, and a variety of other organizations and institutions.
It’s their tireless dedication and professionalism that ensures that people have the highest quality and best-tasting foods available. This is also a week when the organizations that employ them can show their appreciation, perhaps with a special event or even a much-appreciated raise.
The History Of Pride In Foodservice Week
This holiday was created in 1991 by the Association of Nutrition and Foodservice Professionals. Although this isn’t a widespread holiday week, it is widely observed by food service workers and the organizations that employ them.
- According to industry experts, employment in the restaurant industry is supposed to real almost 17 million workers by 2030.
- There have been food service workers since Ancient Rome.
- Several different restaurants are experimenting with using robots to replace food service workers.
- The word “restaurant” originally meant “restorative food” in French.
- The oldest American tavern is the White Horse Tavern in Newport, Rhode Island. This tavern opened in 1673.
- As of 2022, about 15 million people work in the restaurant industry.
- It’s estimated that millennials spend about 45% of their food budget on restaurants.
- Approximately 1 out of 10 Americans have worked at Mcdonald’s.
Observing Pride In Foodservice Week
To celebrate this holiday, all a person has to do is to show their local food service worker a little bit of appreciation. Treat them with respect, give them thanks for what they do, and if appropriate, give them a tip. People can also use the hashtag #PrideInFoodserviceWeek on social media to spread the word about this holiday week.
When is Pride In Food Service Week?
|This year (2023)||February 6 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2024)||February 5 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2022)||February 7 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|