Random Acts of Light Day is a holiday that’s observed annually every June 13th. The purpose of this holiday is for us to light up the life of a cancer patient by giving them some kindness. A cancer diagnosis can be the beginning of what feels like the darkest chapter of a person’s life, and this holiday encourages people to penetrate that light with understanding, caring, and above all, empathy and kindness.
There is no act of kindness that is too large or too small, all that matters is the thought behind the gesture. For some people, that could mean just giving them an ear to listen to them, or it could be something as simple as buying them a drink.
The History Of National Acts Of Light Day
This holiday was created by the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in 2017 to showcase the need for a cure for cancer, and to help people show cancer survivors the love and care they deserve. It’s a holiday that’s since been celebrated every year and will continue to be celebrated until the cure for all cancers has been discovered.
Facts About Leukemia
We’ve listed some facts about leukemia below that will get everyone started on learning more about this disease and why research to cure it is so important.
- The median age for people who die from leukemia is 74-years of age.
- Approximately 310,000 Americans currently live with leukemia.
- The median 5-year survival rate of leukemia is about 54%.
- Leukemia causes more death in children than any other childhood disease.
- Men are 31% more likely to be diagnosed with leukemia than women.
- In the 1970s, 10% of children diagnosed with leukemia would survive 5-years.
- In the 2020s, the 5-year survival rate of children is 80%.
Observing National Acts Of Light Day
This is a great day to show someone you know fighting cancer some affection and understanding. It’s also a good day to give money towards cancer research or to help spread the word about the importance of cancer research to friends and family members. People can also spread the word about this holiday by using the hashtag #NationalActsOfLightDay on their social media accounts.
When is Random Acts Of Light Day?
|This year (2022)||June 13 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||June 13 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||June 13 (Sunday)||Multiple dates - more|