Every person has their own idea of what constitutes a stupid toy. Some people would say that the Pet Rock of the 1970s was a pretty stupid toy, or that the 1990s Tamagotchi was a toy that fits into this category.
Of course, we’re not here to make judgments about whether a particular toy is actually stupid or not. No, we’re here to say that there is a holiday that’s dedicated to all of the toys that people place in the “stupid toy category.”
This holiday is aptly known as Stupid Toy Day and it’s observed annually on the 16th of December each year. This is the perfect day to get lost in the nostalgia of past toys or simply avoid the current toys that will end up being the stupid toys of the future.
The History Of Stupid Toys Day
Although we’re unsure who created this holiday, we do know that it was created in 2017. We also know that it was created to honor all of the stupid toys that we all enjoyed when we were children.
We know that we had more than our share of stupid toys. We included such toys as The Slip ‘n Slide, the Water Wiggle, Gooey Louie, Jarts, The Witch Doctor Head Shrinkers Kit, and Atomic Energy Lab (it came with actual radioactive material).
Some Fun Facts About Toys
Since we’re currently enjoying stupid toys, we thought that it might be a good time to talk about some of the facts that we’ve learned while researching Stupid Toys Day. We found the following facts online from several reputable sources and would like to now share them with everyone today. Let’s look at ’em!
- Twister only became a popular game after it appeared on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
- Barbie’s full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.
- The first toy to be advertised on television was Mr. Potato Head in 1952.
- Rainbow Brite’s name is actually Wisp.
- Mattel made the He-Man toys before the cartoon was made.
- Play-Doh was originally an invention that was created in the 1930s as a wallpaper cleaner.
- The spinning top was one of the first toys ever made. It was invented several thousands of years ago.
- The term “Action Figure” was coined by Hasbro because boys didn’t want to play with “dolls.”
Observing Stupid Toys Day
What are some of your favorite stupid toys of your childhood? If you can answer that question, then you can easily observe Stupid Toys Day. Just be sure to let everyone know about your favorite stupid toys by using the hashtag #StupidToysDay on social media.
When is Stupid Toy Day?
|This year (2023)||December 16 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2024)||December 16 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2022)||December 16 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|