Observed annually on the 24th of June, Swim a Lap Day is a holiday that encourages everyone to hit their local pool and take at least one lap. Okay, we are fooling nobody. No one is going to get into the pool and just swim one lap. It’s just not going to happen. But that’s beside the point. The point of this holiday is that swimming is fun and is a great exercise for anyone wanting to give it a try. Humans have been swimming since the Stone Age and swimming as a sport goes back thousands of years, and this holiday is a good day to keep that in mind.
Interesting Facts About Swimming
We’ve come across some interesting facts about swimmers and swimming, so we decided to pick through them and list the most interesting ones below.
- The first swimming goggles ever made were crafted from tortoise shells.
- Swimming first became an Olympic event in 1896.
- Benjamin Franklin invented swim fins.
- Competitive swimmers can swim up to 12-miles a day.
- Swimmers burn approximately 40% more calories than people biking for the same amount of time.
- Swimming can lower stress and prevent depression.
- The first bikini was invented in 1946 in France.
Observing Swim A Lap Day
It goes without saying that swimming is a great way to work out during the summer months. It works all of the body’s major muscle groups and exercises the heart and lungs as well. Swimming also burns a lot of calories. All of these are good reasons to celebrate Swim A Lap Day by heading to your local pool and swimming a few laps. Before you do, however, be sure that you leave the hashtag #SwimALapDay on your social media accounts. Now grab your swim goggles, your swimsuit, and your towel, and head out to the pool.
When is Swim A Lap Day?
|This year (2022)||June 24 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||June 24 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||June 24 (Thursday)||Multiple dates - more|