|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Republic Day||Armenia||National Holiday|
|Hamburger Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|Derg Downfall Day||Ethiopia||Public Holiday|
|National Brisket Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|Pentecost / Whit Sunday||Multiple [Show]||Multiple Types|
|Mother's Day||Multiple [Show]||Multiple Types|
|Cultural Workers and Folk Artists Day||Ukraine||Observance|
Historical Events on May 28
- 1644: The Bolton Massacre occurs on this day.
- 1754: Lieutenant Colonel George Washington defeats a French reconnaissance party at the Battle of Jumonville Glen in Southwestern Pennsylvania during the French and Indian War.
- 1802: Rather than submit to the demands of Napoleon’s forces, four hundred slaves led by Louis Delgres blow themselves up in Guadeloupe.
- 1830: The Indian Removal Act is signed by United States’ President Andrew Jackson. This act relocates Native Americans west.
- 1871: The Paris Commune falls.
- 1892: The Sierra Club is founded by John Muir in San Francisco, California.
- 1937: Volkswagen is founded in Germany.
- 1940: The Battle of Belgium ends during World War 2 with Belgium surrendering to German forces.
- 1940: During WWII, British, Norwegian, Polish and French forces recapture the city of Narvik in Norway.
- 1942: Nazis in Czechoslovakia kill almost 2,000 people in retaliation for the assassination attempt on Reinhard Heydrich.
- 1948: Daniel Francois Malan become Prime Minister of South Africa.
- 1958: An army post in El Uverso, Cuba is overwelmed by Fidel Castro’s forces.
- 1996: Former business partners in the Whitewater Land Deal of U.S President Bill Clinton are convicted of fraud. These people are Jim and Susan McDougal and Arkansas Governor Jim Guy Tucker.
- 1998: Pakistan conducts a number of nuclear tests. This prompts the U.S and other nations to put economic sanctions on Pakistan.
- 1999: “The Last Supper” by Leonardo da Vinci is put back on display after over 20-years of restoration work on it.
Famous Birthdays on May 28
- Confederate General P.G.T Beauregard is born in 1818.
- Italian-American gangster Santo Trafficante is born in 1886.
- American trumpet player Tommy Ladnier is born in 1900.
- American singer-songwriter and guitarist, T-Bone Walker is born in 1910.
- Irish novelist Maeve Binchy is born in 1939.
- American biochemist, neurologist and Nobel Prize laureate, Stanley B. Prusiner is born in 1942.
- English actress and singer, Faith Brown is born in 1944.
- American singer-songwriter Gladys Knight is born in 1944.