|Date||Name Location / Topic|
International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
Put a Pillow on Your Fridge Day
National Paperclip Day
National Coq Au Vin Day
National Senior Health & Fitness Day
National Flip Flop Day
Historical Events on May 29
- 1733: In Quebec City, the rights of settlers in the area to enslave natives is upheld.
- 1780: Even though Continentals have laid down their arms and surrendered, British troops continue attacking at the Battle of Waxhaws during the American Revolutionary War. Over 112 Continentals are killed and all but 53 are wounded.
- 1790: Rhode Island is the last of the original American colonies to ratify the Constitution. They enter the Union as the 13th
- 1798: Approximately five hundred United Irishmen are executed by the British Arminy in County Kildare, Ireland after the United Irishman Rebellion.
- 1848: Wisconsin enters the Union as the 30th United States’ State.
- 1886: Pharmacist John Pemberton places an ad for Coca-Cola in The Atlanta Journal – its the first advertisement for the beverage.
- 1931: American anarchist Michele Schirru is executed by an Italian military firing squad for trying to kill Italian dictator Benito Mussolini.
- 1935: The Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighter flies for the first time.
- 1945: The Consolidated B-32 Dominator Bomber goes on its first combat mission.
- 1973: Tom Bradley becomes the first black may of Los Angeles in California.
- 1999: The Space Shuttle Discovery and the International Space Station dock for the first time.
- 2001: The United States’ Supreme Court decides that Casey Martin – a disabled golfer- can use a cart to ride in tournaments.
- 2004: In Washington, D.C., the National World War 2 Memorial is dedicated.
- 2012: An earthquake hits just north of Bologna, Italy and kills approximately 24 people.
Famous Birthdays on May 29
- American lawyer and Virginian Governor, Patrick Henry is born in 1736.
- American painter Clark Voorhees is born in 1871.
- English-American comedian, actor and singer, Bob Hope is born in 1903.
- English actor, playwright and director, Sebastian Shaw is born in 1905.
- American Lieutenant and 35th President of the U.S., John F. Kennedy is born in 1917.
- American actor Clifton James is born in 1920.
- French author Bernard Clavel is born in 1923.
- American singer-songwriter and actor, Danny Elfman is born in 1953.
- English actor and novelist, Rupert Everett is born in 1959.
- American singer-songwriter, Melissa Etheridge is born in 1961.