Armed Forces Day is a public holiday in Peru and is known as Día de las Fuerzas Armadas del Perú in Spanish. This holiday falls on the 24th day of September and it commemorates the country’s modern armed forces. The Peruvian Armed Forces are made up of the Army, Navy, and Air Force and have a combined force of approximately 115,000+ active personnel and 386,000+ reservists.
The holiday that celebrates Peru’s military features official ceremonies and military parades, especially in the capital of Lima. There are also smaller events held all across the country and those include concerts, dances, and sporting events.
Facts About Peru’s Armed Forces
Below are some facts about the Peruvian Armed Forces that we’ve learned about during our research on Armed Forces Day. The following facts shed some light on this country’s armed forces.
- The military age for the Peruvian armed forces is 18-years of age.
- Peru has an annual military budget of approximately 2.72-billion dollars.
- Peru spends approximately 1.5% of its GDP on its military.
- The National Police of Peru is often classified as a branch of its armed services.
- The Joint Command of Peru was created on February 1st, 1957.
- The Peruvian Air Force was created in 1950 following the reorganization of the Peruvian Aviation Corps.
- The Armed Forces of Peru report through the country’s Ministry of Defense.
Observing Armed Forces Day In Peru
This holiday is observed with parades, concerts, and other such events. People from all across the country descend on Lima to enjoy official ceremonies and the official military parade that’s held on this day.
It’s also a day for Peruvians to get together with friends and family members. It’s also a day for communities to come together and show off their pride in their country, all while enjoying tasty Peruvian dishes.
When is Armed Forces Day in Peru?
|This year (2023)||September 24 (Sunday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2024)||September 24 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2022)||September 24 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|