|Holiday name||Holiday location||Holiday type|
|Our Lady of Las Mercedes||Dominican Republic||National Holiday|
|Constitutional Day||Cambodia||Public Holiday|
|Republic Day||Trinidad and Tobago||Public Holiday|
|Independence Day (National Day)||Guinea-Bissau||Public Holiday|
|Armed Forces Day||Peru||Observance|
|Heritage Day||South Africa||Public Holiday|
|Anniversary of the failed attack on Lomé||Togo||Public Holiday|
|National Cherries Jubilee Day||-||Unofficial (Food & Drinks)|
|National Punctuation Day||-||Unofficial (Education & Reading)|
|Schwenkfelder Thanksgiving||-||Unofficial (Culture & History)|
|Innergize Day||-||Unofficial (Activity & Action, Health & Body)|
|Gold Star Mother's Day||United States||Observance|
|Yom Kippur Eve||Argentina||Hebrew|
|New Caledonia Day||New Caledonia||Public Holiday|
|Erev Yom Kippur||Israel||Observance, Hebrew|
|Saint Rupert's Day||Austria (Salzburg)||State Holiday|
Historical Events on September 24
- 1780: When British Major John André is arrested for espionage, exposing Benedict Arnold’s plot to surrender West Point, Arnold flees behind British Army Lines.
- 1789: The U.S Congress passes the Judiciary Act. This act created the federal judiciary system and orders the composition of the Supreme Court.
- 1841: Sarawak is ceded to the United Kingdom by the Sultan of Brunei.
- 1906: United States’ President Theodore Roosevelt makes Devil’s Tower in Wyoming the country’s first National Monument.
- 1914: During WWI, the Siege of Przemysl starts.
- 1948: Japanese automaker the Honda Motor Company is founded on this day.
- 1957: President Dwight D. Eisenhower sends the 101st Airborne Division to Little Rock, Arkansas to enforce desegregation.
- 1960: The world’s first nuclear aircraft carrier – the USS Enterprise – is launched on this day.
- 1968: CBS debuts the news program 60 Minutes.
- 1979: The first consumer Internet service, CompuServe, is launched on this day.
- 1996: 71 nations sign off on the Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty at the U.N.
- 2005: Hurrican Rita devastates portions of Southwestern Louisiana and Southeastern Texas.
Famous Birthdays on September 24
- American captain, politician and jurist John Marshall was born in 1755.
- French sculptor and educator Antoine-Louis Barye was born in 1796.
- Estonian philologist and author Nikolai Anderson was born in 1845.
- American businessman and politician Eugune Foss was born in 1858.
- French chemist and engineer Georges Claude was born in 1870.
- Swiss poet and author Charles-Ferdinand Ramus was born in 1878.
- French cyclist Gustave Garrigou was born in 1884.
- American novelists and short story writer F. Scott Fitzgerald was born in 1896.
- English author and journalist Brian Glanville was born in 1931.
- English race car driver Mike Parkes was born in 1931.
- American drummer Mel Taylor was born in 1933.
- American actress Megan Ward was born in 1969.
- English drummer Peter Salisbury is born in 1971.
- English actress Kate Fleetwood is born in 1972.