Heroes Day is a holiday that’s observed in Paraguay every year. Although it’s traditionally observed on the 1st of March, there are years when it’s moved to a Monday to give the citizens of Paraguay a three-day weekend.
Also known as the National Day of Heroes, this holiday pays tribute to the citizens who have not only sacrificed their lives to ensure that Paraguay is the country it is today, but also to the citizens who work tirelessly every year to help build the nation. Since this holiday is a public holiday, many citizens have the day off and government offices, schools, and businesses are usually closed.
The History Of Heroes Day
Heroes Day is observed on the anniversary of Marshal Francisco Solano Lopez’s death. He was the President of Paraguay from 1862 through 1870 and was killed during the Battle of Cerro Cora. This was the last battle between the tri-national alliance of Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay-otherwise known as the Triple Alliance.
Interesting Facts About Paraguay
Below are some interesting facts about Paraguay that we feel everyone should be interested in knowing about while they’re learning more about this holiday.
- Since Paraguay is in the heart of South America, it’s often referred to as Corazon de America-or “Heart of America.”
- Mate is the national beverage of Paraguay.
- Corn and cassava are two of the main staples of this country.
- Paraguay has the Guinness Book of World Records for the largest BBQ in the world. It was attended by 30,000 people.
- During the Triple Alliance War, Paraguay’s population was cut in half.
- Paraguay granted women the right to vote in 1961. It was the last Latin American country to do so.
Observing Heroes Day
Heroes Day is usually observed with ceremonies, parades, and other special events. As we mentioned earlier, it’s also a public holiday, so government buildings and schools are closed for the day. People also use the day to spend time with friends and family. On social media, the hashtag #HeroesDayParaguay can be used to spread the word about this holiday internationally.
When is Heroes’ Day in Paraguay?
|This year (2022)||March 1 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||March 1 (Wednesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||March 1 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|