August 13th is celebrated annually in the Central African Republic as Independence Day. This holiday commemorates the country’s independence from France on this date in 1960. Although the country alluded to the initial rush of European colonization because of its inland location, eventually Europe came knocking on this country’s door.
The French would take control of the area and would set up a dependency known as Ubangi-Shari in 1894. Sixteen years later, Ubangi-Shari would become a part of the Federation of French Equatorial Africa. When the French imposed harsh labor laws on the country, discontent began to rise until it gained its independence on August 13, 1960.
Facts About The Central African Republic
For anyone looking to learn more about the Central African Republic, we’ve gathered together some facts that we think will be entertaining. We uncovered the following facts while we researched Independence Day and thought they would make a nice addition to this holiday article.
- The Central African Republic (CAR) is a landlocked African country.
- The CAR has been inhabited for over 8,000-years before Europeans arrived.
- The CAR region was exploited by Arab and European slave traders during the 17th century.
- The French annexed the region during the 19th century.
- The CAR is the second-poorest country in the world.
- The CAR is home to almost 600 species of butterflies.
- The CAR has been designated as one of the 10 most dangerous countries in the entire world.
Observing Independence Day In Central African Republic
This holiday is observed with parades, festivals, and exhibitions all across the Central African Republic. It’s also a day when people enjoy time with friends and family members. And it’s most certainly a day when the flag of the Central African Republic is flown across the country.
When is Independence Day in Central African Republic?
|This year (2022)||August 13 (Saturday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||August 13 (Sunday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||August 13 (Friday)||Multiple dates - more|