International Drum Month
Most of us know that drums are important to bands because they provide the rhythm and dynamics that music needs. However, few people realize that drums can also have beneficial effects on a person’s wellbeing. Recent studies have shown that drumming can assist in releasing emotional trauma and may have a positive impact on issues such as depression and anxiety.
This isn’t surprising considering that the drums are a primal part of man’s existence and have been for thousands of years. The earliest drum ever constructed came from Neolithic China and it was made over 7,000 years ago. Drumming is such an important part of the human experience that it was even given its own month in May. This month is known as International Drum Month and it’s a month for everyone to find their rhythm.
The History Of International Drum Month
International Drum Month was created in the early 1990s. It was created by Lloyd McCausland of Remo to raise the profile of drums and to grow the market for percussion instruments. Since its creation, this month has continued to grow and is observed by just about anyone and everyone who loves drums or is connected to drums and drumming in some way.
- Humans first started drumming using sticks and rocks.
- The first drum was created out of alligator skin some 7,000 years ago.
- Neil Ellwood Peart of the band Rush was not only a drummer but also a lyricist and a writer.
- The drum manufacturer Ludwing first became famous for their foot-pedal for tarp drums.
- During the 1930s, the modern drum shape was officially crystallized into its modern form.
- Drumming is one of the oldest musical activities in the world.
- In Africa, drums have been used for long-distance communication.
- Studies have shown that drumming can reduce a person’s stress levels.
- Drums have long been used for not only religious rituals but also for wars.
- A drum set that Ringo Starr bought in 1962 and used in 200 performances was sold at a 2015 auction for $2.1 million.
- Drumming can be a great way for people to get a good workout and burn some calories.
- Macaque Monkeys are also known to drum, as do other primates.
- A person can begin to learn drumming by using a pair of drumsticks and a table or inverted bucket.
Observing International Drum Month
We estimate that there are four ways to observe International Drum Month. The first way is by buying drums. The second way is by playing drums. The third way is to take drumming lessons, or if you’re already schooled as a percussionist, then take the time to teach someone else.
And finally, people can observe this month by using the hashtag #InternationalDrumMonth to spread the word about it far and wide. Now, if you’ll excuse us, we’ll have to go grab a pair of sticks and rock out.