International Moment Of Laughter Day
There are times throughout the year when we all could use a moment of laughter to lift our spirits. Unfortunately, for many of us, those moments are few and far between. That’s probably why a holiday that encourages people to take a moment of laughter had to be invented.
This holiday is known as the International Moment of Laughter Day and it’s a day that’s observed on the 14th of April. So, if you’re looking for a day that will give you permission to laugh, then you’ve found it.
The History Of International Moment Of Laughter Day
This day was first created in 1997 by Izzy Gesell-a professional speaker, author, and humor consultant. He invented this holiday to encourage everyone to take some time to laugh. After all, he reasoned, laughter is something that relieves stress, enhances relationships, and raises self-confidence.
Fun Facts About Laughter
We’re going to attempt to inject a little bit of levity into your day by going over some of the fun facts that we uncovered about laughter and humor while we were researching this holiday. While the following facts won’t make anyone belly laugh, we do think that they will brighten just about everyone’s day.
- Laughter raises your heart rate and blood pressure just a little bit and this can be very beneficial.
- It’s been estimated that laughing for approximately 15-minutes a day will result in burning about 50-calories.
- There’s a whole science built around how laughing affects a person’s body and mood. This science is called Gelotology.
- The average adult laughs anywhere from 15 to 30 times a day. Women laugh a little more than average, while men laugh a little less.
- It’s been estimated that babies laugh anywhere from 250 to 300 times a day.
- Laughing releases a hormone that helps to boost the immune system.
- The world record for the longest stand-up comedy show by an individual is 40-hours and 8-minutes.
- Laughter is contagious and can encourage other people to join in on the fun.
- Laughing can improve a person’s mood greatly.
Observing International Moment Of Laughter Day
International Moment of Laughter Day can be observed by taking a few moments out of your day to inject a bit of humor into your life. You can spend the day watching comedies, sharing a funny story with a friend, or going to see a comedy show. While you’re enjoying this holiday, be sure to use the hashtag #InternationalMomentOfLaughterDay with your favorite joke on social media.