Love Your Lawyer Day
Historically, lawyers have suffered from several myths that surround them and their profession. They are often seen as greedy, immoral, ambulance chasers who are only worried about making money. However, those myths are certainly not true.
While there are certainly bad lawyers working, the majority of them are hard-working professionals who are just looking out for their client’s best interests. That’s why a holiday has been created to finally show lawyers some of the respect and love they’ve been missing out on through the years.
This holiday is known as Love Your Lawyer Day and it’s observed on the first Friday in November every year. This is a day for people to show their lawyers a little bit of respect.
The History Of Love Your Lawyer Day
This holiday arose from a “pro-lawyer” campaign that started in 2001. A campaign called “No Lawyer Bashing or Jokes for a Day” was created by the American Lawyers Public Image Association (ALPIA).
This inspired attorney Nader Anise to create Love Your Lawyer Day. It’s been a holiday ever since and has been observed by people wanting to show their lawyers a little bit of love.
Some Interesting Facts About Lawyers
To help dispel some of the myths about lawyers, we thought that we’d take a moment to list some actual facts about this profession. We did a bit of research and the following facts are what we uncovered and think most of our readers will find informative and interesting.
- All attorneys are lawyers, but not all lawyers are attorneys.
- Technically, lawyers are trained in the law, while attorneys practice in court.
- It’s believed that legal professionals predated the Greco-Roman Era.
- In 450 B.C, the first law school was created.
- Lawyers are among the top 20 highest-paid jobs in the U.S.
- Lawyers do not make the list of the top 10 highest paid jobs in the U.S, however.
- Some of the highest-paid lawyers in the world work in Japan.
- To become a lawyer, a person needs four years of undergraduate study and three years of law school.
- The 1st of May is celebrated in the U.S as Law Day.
- In the U.S, there are approximately 1.34 million lawyers.
- Many lawyers’ salaries are dependent on what area of the country they practice law.
- Some of the highest-paid lawyers in the U.S work in Los Angeles, New York, and Washington, D.C.
Observing Love Your Lawyer Day
Celebrating this day is pretty simple. All a person has to do is to take their time to show their lawyer a little bit of appreciation. This can be done by sending them a card, thanking them in person, or by sending them a message on social media using the hashtag #LoveYourLawyerDay.