Museum Selfie Day
Celebrated on the third Wednesday in January, Museum Selfie Day is a holiday that encourages everyone to get out there and visit their local museum for a selfie. Of course, the purpose of this holiday is beyond just providing material to post on social media timelines.
It is hoped that once people visit the museum they choose, they will take the time to enjoy some of its exhibits. During most of the year, museums do not allow people to take pictures inside, but many museums participating in this day actually lift this rule for one day.
The History of Museum Selfie Day
This holiday was created by a woman from London named Mar Dixon. She runs a website that is passionate about international culture. She created this holiday to help spread the love for culture around the world.
The first Museum Selfie Day was observed in January 2014, and it has been observed every year since. Nowadays, museums all around the world have signed on to this holiday and have allowed people to participate by taking selfies with their exhibits.
Some Amazing Facts About Museums
We cannot finish an article on a holiday celebrating museums without taking the time to list some facts about museums. It would be unethical. That’s why we have decided to list some of the facts we’ve learned about museums for all of our readers to enjoy. We’ve listed these facts below.
- In 530 BCE, the world’s first museum was built by a Babylonian princess named Ennigaldi. It’s the Ennigaldi-Nanna’s Museum.
- In Germany, the Plastinarium Museum has a collection of plastinated corpses on display.
- The Saint Louis Art Museum has a collection of over 34,000 objects that span 5,000 years of history.
- In Amsterdam, the Torture Museum hosts a large collection of medieval torture instruments.
- The middle finger of Galileo is on display at the Galileo Museum in Italy.
Observing Museum Selfie Day
The first thing a person has to consider before celebrating Museum Selfie Day is which museum they will enjoy on this day. With over 100,000 museums in the world, about 35,000 of them in the U.S. alone, there is a lot to choose from. Some of the top museums in the world are the Louvre Museum, The British Museum, and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. And that’s only the beginning. Choose a museum that you think you’ll enjoy and visit it during this holiday.