National Coconut Torte Day
A coconut torte is a rich, multilayered cake that’s filled with a variety of different ingredients-with coconut being one of the main ingredients. These cakes are filled with buttercreams and/or mousses, jams or fruits, whipped cream, and of course, coconut. It’s a twist on traditional Austrian desserts such as Sachertorte and Linzertorte.
These cakes are so good, someone decided to make a whole holiday dedicated to them. This holiday is observed annually on the 13th of March and is known as National Coconut Torte Day. It’s the perfect day to try your hand at making one of these tortes and sharing your creation with friends and family members.
Tasty Facts About Coconuts
We’ve found some tasty facts about coconuts that we think everyone can appreciate as they’re dining on their newly baked coconut torte for National Coconut Torte Day.
- Over 90% of coconuts are grown in developing countries in Asia.
- The biggest exporters of coconuts in the world include Indonesia, Phillippines, India, Brazil, and Sri Lanka.
- In 80 different countries, there are over 150 different coconut species.
- It takes a full year for coconuts to become ripe.
- Every year, over 61 million tons of coconuts are produced.
- Packed coconut can last up to 12-months in the pantry.
- Coconut oil can last for years if properly stored.
- It takes new coconut trees approximately 5-years before they begin bearing fruit.
- It takes coconut trees approximately 15-years before they reach their fruit-bearing potential.
Observing National Coconut Torte Day
As we said previously, coconut tortes are delicious, so we think the best way to celebrate this holiday is by finding a great coconut torte recipe online and making it in your kitchen. There are dozens of recipes out there, so all you have to do is try the one you think you’ll like the best.
Perhaps you want to try making a coconut cream torte or a chocolate and coconut torte. It’s all depends on what you like. Just be sure to take a picture of it and post it online using the hashtag #NationalCoconutTorteDay.