National Weed Your Garden Day is a holiday that’s observed annually on June 13th. This holiday is one that encourages everyone to take that few extra moments to get the weeds out of their gardens. One of the biggest reasons why weeds should be removed from your garden is that they compete with the plants that you’re trying to grow.
They direct nutrition away from their roots, crowd them out of sunlight, and make them more susceptible to attacks from garden pests. That’s why it’s important that everyone with a garden take the time to weed it not only on this one day of the year but all throughout the growing season.
Some Informative Facts About Weeds
Since we’re on the subject of weeds for our discussion of National Weed Your Garden Day, we thought that we’d take a few moments to give everyone some of the facts about weeds that we know.
- More than 200 weed species have developed resistance to the herbicides used to kill them.
- Weeds cause more yield loss to farmers than insects, diseases, rodents, and deer.
- Some weeds may increase the chances of wildfires in certain areas.
- Some weeds are extremely poisonous.
- Weeds such as common ragweed can trigger allergic reactions.
- Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) can serve as a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Common groundsel (Senecio vulgaris) can cause irreversible liver damage to cattle, sheep, and horses if these animals eat it.
Observing National Weed Your Garden Day
Although we think the name of this holiday describes very well how it should be celebrated, we’ll take a few moments anyway to talk about it anyway. This holiday should be celebrated by taking the time to weed your garden.
It’s also a good day to remind your gardening friends that they should also weed their gardens. If you can tell them in person, then do so over the Internet using the hashtag #NationalWeedYourGardenDay.
When is National Weed Your Garden Day?
|This year (2022)||June 13 (Monday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Next year (2023)||June 13 (Tuesday)||Multiple dates - more|
|Last year (2021)||June 13 (Sunday)||Multiple dates - more|