Stress Awareness Month
Stress Awareness Month takes place in April, and it’s a time dedicated to raising public awareness about stress — including its causes, how to manage it, and its impact on an individual’s health. Stress triggers a hormonal response in the body, leading to the release of adrenaline and cortisol.
These hormones can enhance a person’s performance in the short term, but if they persist in the body for an extended period, they can have detrimental effects on health. It’s crucial for everyone to identify the sources of stress in their lives and either eliminate them or reduce their exposure. April is the ideal month to start the journey toward a more tranquil life.
The History of Stress Awareness Month
Stress Awareness Month was established in April 1992 by the Health Resource Network (HRN)—a nonprofit education organization. They initiated this observance to inform people about the risks of stress and to promote effective coping strategies.
Facts About Stress
We wanted to provide our readers with additional information about stress, so we’ve compiled some facts below. Let’s review them before we proceed with the discussion on how Stress Awareness Month is celebrated.
- Stress can cause a person to feel hot due to an increase in blood pressure.
- Stress can lead to an upset stomach, excessive urination, and diarrhea.
- Long-term stress can heighten the risk of developing depression.
- Chronic headaches are often linked to stress.
- Stress can weaken the immune system.
- Stress may result in a decreased interest in sexual activity.
- Weight gain and drug abuse are also symptoms of stress.
- Poor nutrition can exacerbate stress.
- Healthy relationships can help alleviate stress levels.
- Insufficient exercise can contribute to significant stress.
- Excessive stress can also increase the likelihood of developing diabetes.
Observing Stress Awareness Month
In our view, everyone should seize the opportunity to acknowledge Stress Awareness Month. To observe this month, individuals should take time to assess the stress in their lives and then seek appropriate strategies to manage it.
For some, this may involve consulting mental healthcare professionals to help them devise these strategies. People can also participate in this month by using the hashtag #StressAwarenessMonth on social media.