|Date||Name Location / Topic|
Unfairly Prosecuted Persons Day
National Scrabble Day
National Thomas Jefferson Day
National Peach Cobbler Day
National Make Lunch Count Day
Thomas Jefferson's Birthday
Historical Events on April 13
- 1861: During the American Civil War, Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate troops on this day.
- 1865: Union troops occupy Raleigh, North Carolina during the American Civil War.
- 1870: The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City is established.
- 1873: More than sixty African-Americans are murdered during the Colfax Massacre.
- 1902: C. Penney opens his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming.
- 1919: During the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre, almost 400 unarmed demonstrators are gunned down by British troops and another twelve hundred are wounded.
- 1919: Eugene V. Debs is imprisoned at the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary in Atlanta on charges of sedition for speaking out against the President of the U.S and World War I.
- 1941: The USSR and Japan sign a Pact of Neutrality.
- 1943: The discovery of mass graves at the Katyn Forest Massacre is announced.
- 1943: On the 200th anniversary of U.S President Thomas Jefferson’s birth, the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C is dedicated.
- 1945: During WWII, more than a thousand military and political prisoners are killed by the Germans in Gardelegen, Germany.
- 1945: Bulgarian and Soviet troops capture the city of Vienna in Austria.
- 1972: The Battle of An Loc erupts during the Vietnam War.
- 1974: In cooperation with Hughes Aircraft and NASA, Western Union launches the largest U.S commercial geosynchronous communication satellite. It’s called Westar 1.
- 1976: The 2-dollar bill is reintroduced by the U.S Treasury Department on Thomas Jefferson’s 233rd
- 1997: Tiger Woods becomes the youngest golfer to win the Masters Tournament.
- 2017: The US drops the largest ever nonnuclear bomb on Nangarhar, Afghanistan.
Famous Birthdays on April 13
- American lawyer, politician and 3rdS President, Thomas Jefferson is born in 1743.
- American lawyer and politician, John Robertson is born in 1787.
- Irish archbishop and poet, William Alexander is born in 1824.
- Irish novelist, poet, playwright and Nobel Prize laureate, Samuel Beckett is born in 1906.
- American novelist and short story writer, Eudora Welty is born in 1909.
- American geneticist and Nobel Prize laureate, Michael Stuart Brown is born in 1941.
- American actor Tony Dow is born in 1945.
- Australian actress and author, Judy Nunn is born in 1945.
- American poet Rae Armantrout is born in 1947.