|Date||Name Location / Topic|
Unfairly Prosecuted Persons Day
National Scrabble Day
National Thomas Jefferson Day
National Peach Cobbler Day
National Make Lunch Count Day
Passover (Last Day in Diaspora)
Thomas Jefferson's Birthday
Historical Events on April 13
- 1861: During the American Civil War, Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederate troops on this day.
- 1865: Union troops occupy Raleigh, North Carolina during the American Civil War.
- 1870: The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City is established.
- 1873: More than sixty African-Americans are murdered during the Colfax Massacre.
- 1902: C. Penney opens his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming.
- 1919: During the Jallianwala Bagh Massacre, almost 400 unarmed demonstrators are gunned down by British troops and another twelve hundred are wounded.
- 1919: Eugene V. Debs is imprisoned at the Atlanta Federal Penitentiary in Atlanta on charges of sedition for speaking out against the President of the U.S and World War I.
- 1941: The USSR and Japan sign a Pact of Neutrality.
- 1943: The discovery of mass graves at the Katyn Forest Massacre is announced.
- 1943: On the 200th anniversary of U.S President Thomas Jefferson’s birth, the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C is dedicated.
- 1945: During WWII, more than a thousand military and political prisoners are killed by the Germans in Gardelegen, Germany.
- 1945: Bulgarian and Soviet troops capture the city of Vienna in Austria.
- 1972: The Battle of An Loc erupts during the Vietnam War.
- 1974: In cooperation with Hughes Aircraft and NASA, Western Union launches the largest U.S commercial geosynchronous communication satellite. It’s called Westar 1.
- 1976: The 2-dollar bill is reintroduced by the U.S Treasury Department on Thomas Jefferson’s 233rd
- 1997: Tiger Woods becomes the youngest golfer to win the Masters Tournament.
- 2017: The US drops the largest ever nonnuclear bomb on Nangarhar, Afghanistan.
Famous Birthdays on April 13
- American lawyer, politician and 3rdS President, Thomas Jefferson is born in 1743.
- American lawyer and politician, John Robertson is born in 1787.
- Irish archbishop and poet, William Alexander is born in 1824.
- Irish novelist, poet, playwright and Nobel Prize laureate, Samuel Beckett is born in 1906.
- American novelist and short story writer, Eudora Welty is born in 1909.
- American geneticist and Nobel Prize laureate, Michael Stuart Brown is born in 1941.
- American actor Tony Dow is born in 1945.
- Australian actress and author, Judy Nunn is born in 1945.
- American poet Rae Armantrout is born in 1947.