|Date||Name Location / Topic|
Birthday of Guru Angad Dev
International Day for Monuments and Sites
National Lineman Appreciation Day
National Columnists’ Day
National Animal Crackers Day
National High Five Day
Historical Events on April 18
- 1689: In response to the unfavorable rule of the Governor of the Dominion of New England Sir Edmund Andros – citizens of Boston rebel during the 1689 Boston Revolt.
- 1738: In Madrid, the Royal Academy of History is founded.
- 1831: In Tuscaloosa, Alabama, the University of Alabama is started.
- 1847: When American forces win the Battle of Cerro Gordo, they open the way for an invasion of Mexico itself.
- 1864: At the Battle of Dybbol, Denmark is defeated by Prussian-Austrian forces.
- 1897: Greece and the Ottoman Empire declare war on each other, thereby starting the Greco Turkish War.
- 1902: Guatemala is hit by an earthquake that ends up killing approximately two thousand residents.
- 1906: An earthquake, and a resulting fire, destroys a large portion of San Francisco in California.
- 1923: Yankee Stadium opens to the public on this day.
- 1942: The Japanese cities of Nagoya, Tokyo, Yokohama and Kobe are bombed during the Doolittle Raid of World War II.
- 1943: During Operation Vengeance of World War II, United States’ fighters shoot down the aircraft carrying Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto.
- 1945: The island of Heligoland, Germany is bombed by over a thousand bombers.
- 1949: Ireland exits the British Commonwealth and becomes the Republic of Ireland.
- 1983: Over 60 people are killed in Beirut when a suicide bomber destroys a U.S Embassy.
- 1988: In the largest American naval battle since WWII, the U.S launches Operation Praying Mantis against Iran’s naval forces.
Famous Birthdays on April 18
- American actor James Drury is born in 1934.
- American novelist Robert Bausch is born in 1945.
- American novelist Richard Bausch is born in 1945.
- English actress Hayley Mills is born in 1946.
- American actor James Wood is born in 1947.
- American actress Cindy Pickett is born in 1947.
- English actress and dancer, Hane Leeves is born in 1961.
- American ventriloquist Jeff Dunham is born in 1962.
- American actress and author, Maria Bello is born in 1967.
- American author Keith DeCandido is born in 1969.
- American screenwriter, director and actor, Eli Roth is born in 1972.
- American actress Melissa Joan Hart is born in 1976.
- American actor Ethan Cohn is born in 1979.