|Date||Name Location / Topic|
Arabic Language Day
Nigerien Republic Day
International Migrants Day
National Roast Suckling Pig Day
Answer The Telephone Like Buddy The Elf Day
Bake Cookies Day
Historical Events on December 18
- 1777: After the recent victory at Saratoga, Americans sit back and enjoy their first Thanksgiving.
- 1787: The United States Constitution is ratified by a 3rd state: New Jersey.
- 1865: United States Secretary of State William Seward declares that the 13th Amendment has been adopted. This amendment prevents slavery throughout the entire United States.
- 1892: The Nutcracker by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky has its first performance in St. Petersburg, Russia.
- 1916: The French defeat German forces at the Battle of Verdun during WWI. The Germans suffer over 330,000 casualties.
- 1917: The resolution containing the language of the Eighteenth Amendment to enact Prohibition is passed by the United States Congress.
- 1932: During the 1st NFL Championship Game, the Portsmouth Spartans are defeated by the Chicago Bears.
- 1939: The first major aerial battle during World War II – The Battle of the Heligoland Bight – happens on this day.
- 1944: A Japanese supply base in Hankow, China is bombed by Allied air forces on this day using over 70 B-29 Superfortress planes and 200 other United States aircraft.
- 1958: The first communications satellite is launched on this day.
- 1966: Richard Walker discovers Epimetheus -a moon of Saturn.
- 1972: After peace talks broke down with North Vietnam 5-days earlier, U.S President Richard Nixon announces that United States forces will engage North Vietnam.
- 2006: The first electionsin the United Arab Emirates are held on this day.
- 2015: Great Britain’s last deep coal mine – Kellingley Colliery – closes.
Famous Birthdays on December 18
- American inventor and businessman, Charles Goodyear is born in 1800.
- English businessman and brewer, James Watney is born in 1800.
- American general Charles Griffin is born in 1825.
- English actress Rosemary Leach is born in 1935.
- French-American chef and author, Jacquest Pepin is born in 1935.
- English singer-songwriter and guitarist, Keith Richards is born in 1943.
- American director, screenwriter and DreamWorks co-founder, Steven Spielberg is born in 1946.
- American actor and producer, Bradd Pitt is born in 1963.
- Australian actress Rachel Griffiths is born in 1968.
- American rapper and actor, DMX is born in 1970.