|Date||Name Location / Topic|
Make a Gift Day
Day of Navarre
International Day of Persons with Disabilities
National Roof Over Your Head Day
First Sunday of Advent
Good Neighborliness Day
First Advent Sunday
Let’s Hug Day
Historical Events on December 3
- 1818: The Great State of Illinois becomes the twenty-first state of the United States.
- 1834: The first regularly conducted census in Germany is begun by the German Customs Union.
- 1901: United States President Theodore Roosevelt asks the U.S Congress to limit the power of trusts.
- 1910: At the Paris Motor Show, Georges Claude demonstrates the use of modern neon lighting.
- 1919: The Quebec Bridge finally opens to the public.
- 1927: The first Laurel and Hardy Film – Putting Pants on Philip – is released on this day.
- 1964: When the University of California Regents’ Office decides to forbid protest on University property, students takeover and sit-in at the University’s administration building. As a result, over 800 students are arrested by the police.
- 1971: Pakistan attack India and sparks the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- 1973: The first up-close pictures of Jupiter are sent back to Earth from Pioneer 10.
- 1979: Eleven people are suffocated in a crush for seats outside a Who concert at Riverfront Coliseum in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 1982: When a soil sample is taken from Times Beach, Missouri, it’s shown to contain over three hundred times the safe levels for dioxin.
- 1994: The PlayStation game system was released for the first time in Japan on this day.
- 1999: Radio contact is lost between NASA and the Mars Polar Lander right before the spacecraft begins entering Mars’ atmosphere.
Famous Birthdays on December 3
- American general and politician, George B. McClellan is born in 1826.
- Cuban epidemiologist and doctor, Carlos Finlay is born in 1833.
- American activist and philanthropist, Phoebe Hearst is born in 1842.
- American businessman and founder of the Pillsbury Company, Charles Pillsbury is born in 1842.
- Polish novelist Joseph Conrad is born in 1857.
- Dutch chemist, engineer and Nobel Prize laureate, Paul J. Crutzen is born in 1933.
- British-American actor Nicolas Coster is born in 1934.
- American journalist and author, David K. Shipler is born in 1942.
- English singer-songwriter Ozzy Osbourne is born in 1948.
- American actress and producer, Daryl Hannah is born in 1960.
- American actress Julianne Moore is born in 1960.
- American actress Amanda Seyfried is born in 1985.