|Date||Name Location / Topic|
World Tuberculosis Day
International Day for the Right to the Truth concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims
National Chocolate Covered Raisin Day
Commonwealth Covenant Day
Historical Events on March 24
- 1765: The Quartering Act is passed by Great Britain. This act requires people who live in the 13 Colonies to house British troops as needed.
- 1829: The U.K Parliament passes the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1829. This act allows Catholics to openly serve in Parliament.
- 1832: Mormon leader Joseph Smith is beat, tarred and feather by a group of men in Hiram, Ohio.
- 1854: Venezuela abolishes slavery.
- 1878: The HMS Eurydice sinks. More than 300 people are killed.
- 1882: The discover of the bacterium responsible for tuberculosis – Mycobacterium tuberculosis – is announced by Robert Koch.
- 1896: The first radio signal transmission in human history occurs on this day by A.S Popov.
- 1944: At the Ardeatine Massacre, 335 Italian civilians are killed by German forces in Rome.
- 1944: 76 Allied POWs start breaking out of German Prisoner Camp Stalag Luft III during World War II. This event would later be dramatized by the movie “The Great Escape.”
- 1958: Elvis Presley is drafted into the United States Army.
- 1989: The Exxon Valdez spills over two hundred and forty thousand barrels of crude oil in Prince William Sound in the state of Alaska.
- 1993: The Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 is discovered on this day.
- 1998: 10 people are wounded and 5 are killed when teachers and students at Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas are fired upon.
- 1998: Two hundred and fifty people are killed and another three thousand are injured when a tornado touches down in Dantan, India.
Famous Birthdays on March 24
- Hungarian-Jewish magician and escape artist, Harry Houdini is born in 1874.
- Dutch-American chemist, physicist and Nobel Prize laureate, Peter Debye is born in 1884.
- American actor, screenwriter and director, Roscoe Arbuckle is born in 1887.
- American bank robber, Clyde Barrow is born in 1909.
- American animator, producer and co-found of Hanna Barbera, Joseph Barbera is born in 1911.
- American author Mary Stolz is born in 1920.
- American actor Murray Hamilton is born in 1923.
- American actor Norman Fell is born in 1924.
- American actor Steve McQueen is born in 1930.
- English-American model and actress, Kelly LeBrock is born in 1960.
- German singer-songwriter Nena is born in 1960.
- American actor Jim Parsons is born in 1973.
- American football player Peyton Manning is born in 1976.
- American actress Jessica Chastain is born in 1977.